Attorney Kathryn Martin
Attorney Kathryn Martin
Metrowest and South Shore Boston
Massachusetts Estate and Elder Law
Attorney Kathryn Martin concentrates her practice on estate planning including wills, trusts, probate avoidance, business and tax planning, asset protection and elder law services. Prior to joining Baker Law Group in 2015, Kathryn worked for the First Justice of the Suffolk County Probate and Family Court. This hands-on probate court experience allows her to offer a thorough approach to estate planning as well as insight into probate litigation and how to avoid such litigation.
As an estate attorney, Kathryn regularly works with a wide range of individuals, including young professionals, persons of high net worth, and retirees and elders – helping them develop comprehensive estate plans that address probate avoidance, tax liabilities and exposure, long-term care issues, and asset protection.
Kathryn’s focus is elder law and estate planning, which includes comprehensive knowledge of property title, trusts and estates, federal income tax, estate and gift tax, wills, and asset protection. Her dynamic knowledge base allows her to utilize various estate planning techniques to help clients distribute wealth to heirs according to their wishes, protect their assets, minimize their tax exposure, and avoid probate.
Areas of Concentration
- Revocable and irrevocable trusts, including Medicaid irrevocable trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, and gifting trusts
- Legal wills and testamentary trusts
- Limited Liability Companies (LLCs)
- Transferring business interests to trusts
- Estate tax returns, including advanced estate planning for estates of high net worth
- Administration of probate estates, including formal, informal, and voluntary administrations
- Contested estates and contested guardianships / conservatorships
- Representation for anonymous lottery winners
Kathryn began with Baker Law Group, P.C. as a law clerk in May of 2015 until her admission to the Massachusetts and Rhode Island Bars after her graduation from Suffolk University Law School.
During her time at Suffolk, Kathryn was selected as a member of the Moot Court Honor Board and served as the Associate Director of Competitions and Executive Director of Marketing and Media. She was selected as a member of the Suffolk Journal of Trial and Appellate Advocacy and was published in the Journal in the fall of 2015.
Kathryn also served as the Vice President of the New England First Amendment Coalition from 2015-2016 and as an International and Comparative Law Research Assistant at Suffolk University Law School. She also was a Teaching Assistant for Clinical Psychology at the University of Rhode Island and was a Co-Presenter at the Northeast Conference for Teachers of Psychology in 2012.
Kathryn attended the University of Rhode Island and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts, Suma Cum Laude, double majoring in Political Science and Psychology. Kathryn graduated Magna Cum Laude from Suffolk University Law School and received her law degree in May of 2016. She was admitted to both the Massachusetts Bar and Rhode Island Bar in November of 2016. In 2018, Kathryn became a Chapter Director for Business Network International and continues to support chapters across all of Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
Honors and Awards
- Selected through Suffolk University Law School’s First Year Summer Internship Program as the summer intern of Hon. Judge Joan P. Armstrong, First Justice of the Suffolk County Probate and Family Court (Suffolk University Law School, May 2014)
- David Warren Scholar Award in Political Science (University of Rhode Island, March 2013)
- Senior Academic Excellence Award in Psychology (University of Rhode Island, April 2013)
- Suma Cum Laude & Dean’s List (University of Rhode Island, 2010-2013)
- Oral Advocate Honorable Mention Award (Suffolk University Law School, May 2014)
- Distinguished Brief Award (Suffolk University Law School, May 2014)
- Magna Cum Laude & Dean’s List (Suffolk University of Law School, 2013-2016)
Memberships and Associations
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Plymouth District Bar Association
- Suffolk University Law School Moot Court Honor Board
- Suffolk Journal of Trial and Appellate Advocacy
- International Legal Honor Society – Phi Delta Phi
- Business Network International – Wealth Generators (Chapter President: 2018-2019)
Personal and Civic Service
Attorney Martin lives on the South Shore of Massachusetts in Lakeville with her boyfriend, Nate, and their dog, Bagheera. She enjoys spending her free time with them hiking and camping and also loves playing softball.