Massachusetts Estate and Elder Law Attorney Kathryn Martin
Attorney Kathryn Martin concentrates her practice on estate planning, including wills, trusts, probate avoidance, business and tax planning, and asset protection, as well as elder law services. Kathryn has been with Baker Law Group, P.C., a greater Boston estate planning, probate and elder law firm since May of 2015. Prior to joining Baker Law Group, Kathryn worked for the First Justice of the Suffolk County Probate and Family Court. This hands-on Probate Court experience allows her to offer a thorough approach to estate planning and will and trust drafting, as well as insight into probate litigation and how to avoid such litigation. Her background includes extensive analysis and drafting of legal wills and trusts, including tax and asset protection provisions, contested estates, anonymous lottery winnings, as well as contested guardianships and conservatorships.
Legal Focus on Wills, Estates, Trusts, and Elder Law
As an estate attorney, Kathryn regularly works with a wide range of individuals, including young professionals, persons of high net worth, and retirees and elders, helping them develop comprehensive estate plans that address probate avoidance, tax liabilities and exposure, long-term care issues, and asset protection. During Law School, Kathryn focused her studies on estate planning, including the following related courses: Property, Trusts and Estates, Federal Income Tax, Estate and Gift Tax, Will and Trust Drafting, and Estate Planning, among others. Her dynamic knowledge base allows her to utilize various estate planning techniques to help clients distribute wealth to heirs according to their wishes, protect their assets, minimize their tax exposure, and avoid probate. Kathryn is experienced in drafting revocable and irrevocable trusts, including Medicaid irrevocable trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, and gifting trusts; drafting legal wills and testamentary trusts; establishing Limited Liability Companies (LLCs); transferring business interests to trusts; preparation of estate tax returns, including advanced estate planning for estates of high net worth; and the administration of probate estates, including formal, informal, and voluntary administrations.
Massachusetts and Rhode Island Trusts Estates and Probate Lawyer
Kathryn began with Baker Law Group, P.C. as a law clerk in May of 2015 until her admission to the the Massachusetts and Rhode Island Bars after her graduation from Suffolk University Law School. During her time at Suffolk, Kathryn was selected as a member of the Moot Court Honor Board, and served as the Associate Director of Competitions and Executive Director of Marketing and Media. She was selected as a member of the Suffolk Journal of Trial and Appellate Advocacy and was published in the Journal in the fall of 2015. Kathryn also served as the Vice President of the New England First Amendment Coalition from 2015-2016 and as an International and Comparative Law Research Assistant at Suffolk University Law School. She also was a Teaching Assistant for Clinical Psychology at the University of Rhode Island and was a Co-Presenter at the Northeast Conference for Teachers of Psychology in 2012.
Continuing Education in Estate Planning, Trusts, Estates, and Probate
Kathryn attended the University of Rhode Island and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts, Suma Cum Laude, double majoring in Political Science and Psychology. Kathryn graduated Magna Cum Laude from Suffolk University Law School and received her law degree in May of 2016. She was admitted to both the Massachusetts Bar and Rhode Island Bar in November of 2016.
Honors and Awards
- Selected through Suffolk University Law School’s First Year Summer Internship Program as the summer intern of Hon. Judge Joan P. Armstrong, First Justice of the Suffolk County Probate and Family Court (Suffolk University Law School, May 2014)
- David Warren Scholar Award in Political Science (University of Rhode Island, March 2013)
- Senior Academic Excellence Award in Psychology (University of Rhode Island, April 2013)
- Suma Cum Laude & Dean’s List (University of Rhode Island, 2010-2013)
- Oral Advocate Honorable Mention Award (Suffolk University Law School, May 2014)
- Distinguished Brief Award (Suffolk University Law School, May 2014)
- Magna Cum Laude & Dean’s List (Suffolk University of Law School, 2013-2016)
Memberships and Associations
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Plymouth District Bar Association
- Suffolk University Law School Moot Court Honor Board
- Suffolk Journal of Trial and Appellate Advocacy
- International Legal Honor Society – Phi Delta Phi
- Business Network International – Nemasket Chapter
Attorney Martin lives on the South Shore of Massachusetts in Lakeville and enjoys spending her free time with her family and friends, and playing softball.